Moving home can be a stressful time .

We’re here to support you .

Finding a Taff home

In order to apply for a home you first must make an appointment with Cardiff Council, who will interview you to assess your housing need.

They will be able to give you general advice on your housing situation and suggest alternatives too.

If you would like to book an appointment with Cardiff Council, you can contact them directly on 029 2053 7111, visit a local Council Hub.

If we are able to offer you a home we will contact you by telephone and we will follow this up with a formal offer in writing.

You must contact us immediately after receiving this offer to let us know if you are interested in viewing the property.

We may withdraw the offer if we do not hear from you within 3 working days of it being sent.

You will be given the opportunity to view the property before you make a decision.

Please tell us straight away if you do not want the house we have offered you.

Generally, if you have been made two reasonable offers and you have refused them without good reason, your name may be removed from the waiting list.

If this happens and you think the decision is unfair, you can appeal against this decision. You will need to contact the Rehousing Unit on 02920 537032 or 02920 537033 if you wish to appeal.

If you accept an offer of accommodation with us, you will be asked to pay a full week’s rent in advance before you are given the keys to the property.

Failure to do this may mean the offer is withdrawn and offered to someone else.

If you have limited mobility or other disabilities, and therefore need adapted accommodation, you should still complete the Common Waiting List application form, but ensure that you tick the box stating you require adapted accommodation.

You should return the form to:

Rehousing Unit, Cardiff County Council, PO Box 364, Cardiff, CF11 1BW

You will then be registered onto the Cardiff Accessible Homes Register.

This is a housing waiting list specifically for people who require adapted accommodation, and will match your requirements to available properties.


This is called Assignment.

If you are an Assured Tenant you may be able to assign your tenancy in certain circumstances.

This type of transfer can only happen with the consent of Taff and is usually only permitted between partners. For further information, just contact us.

When a tenant dies the tenancy can pass to certain members of the family living in their home.

The right to inherit a tenancy is called a Succession.

Taff tenants who wish to apply can do so by paper or  online. You will need an email address and your person reference number which you will need to request this from the tenancy team in order to complete an online application.

Welcome to Housing Online (

If you currently hold an Assured Short-hold Tenancy you will not be able to apply for a transfer until you become an Assured Tenant after 12 months.

If you have rent arrears you will have to clear all the outstanding balance before you will be offered a transfer.

If your current home is in a poor condition you will have to bring it up to standard before you can transfer to another property. If you transfer and leave your home in a poor condition, we will bring it up to standard and recharge you.

All applications to transfer will be considered, however, priority will be given to those in greater need. For example:

  • Your current home is under-occupied
  • Where there are health needs or social problems

Ending your tenancy

If you want to end your tenancy please contact us as soon as possible. To end a tenancy we will need written confirmation of your leaving date and when you will be returning your keys.

If you do not return your keys on time you will be charged a further additional week’s rent for every week that we are unable to re-let your property.

If you are a joint tenant we will need to talk to all involved parties.

Following an inspection from your Housing Officer we will advise you of any repairs/alterations that you are required to carry out before you leave.

If you do not carry out these repairs or they are not carried out to the required standard, you will be re-charged for the costs that Taff incurs in putting things right. You will also be charged if the property is left in an unclean state or if items left behind.

You will not have to pay for normal wear and tear.

You must pay any outstanding arrears or other debts. This includes any outstanding court costs.


If you have an assured tenancy with Taff then you have the right to exchange with another tenant from any other housing association or the local authority. You can also register with Home Swapper.

If you exchange you agree to take on the property in the condition you see it. Taff is not responsible for any re-decoration or damage caused by the previous tenant or their family.

You will not be able to exchange if:

  • Any type of legal proceedings have been commenced against you
  • Your home is too large or too small for the household you wish to exchange with
  • Your home has been specially adapted or designed to suit a person with disabilities and the person you wish to exchange with does not have a need for such adaptations
  • Your home is designated as ‘older person accommodation’ and the person you wish to exchange with is not elderly
  • You are in arrears or owe any other debt to Taff
  • You have an Assured Short-hold tenancy