We're here to look after the main structure and exterior of your home. Full details of our repair obligations are set out in your Tenancy Agreement.
As a tenant you are responsible for looking after your home and garden - keeping it clean and well looked after.

What we’re responsible for 

We’re here to maintain roofs, walls, floors, ceilings, windows, external doors, drains, gutters, pipes, paths, steps, boundaries and gates and external decorations.

We also look after the gas, water and electricity systems and equipment, kitchen and bathroom fittings, alarm systems and any shared areas around you home.

What you’re responsible for 

You will need to arrange safe installation of appliances like cookers and washing machines. If you damage anything it will be your responsibility to fix it.

How to guides

Repairs FAQs

If you report a repair to us we will arrange an appointment with you. It is important that you let us in to complete repairs on your home.

In some instances we need to visit to carry out essential servicing like gas and electric checks.

We will always give you reasonable notice but as these are a legal requirement, you must give us access to complete this work.

  • Your home has been fitted with smoke detectors which are usually located on the ceiling of the hall and landing. These are mains wired with a battery backup.
  • We recommend that you test them weekly.
    If you experience any issues with your smoke detector please contact us immediately.

Planned maintenance involves the replacement of items such as windows, doors, new kitchens and bathrooms. We will let you know if your home is included in our upcoming programmes.

We expect a kitchen to last for around 15 years and a bathroom to last for around 25 years.

You can carry out improvements to your home provided that you get written permission from Taff for the work to take place.

It is your responsibility to get any necessary permission from the Council Planning Department or building regulation approval.

We will inspect the work when it is completed. If it is not satisfactory we may ask you to carry out additional work and this will be at your own cost.


  • Your boiler will run the central heating and hot water system and is controlled by a programmer.
  • The programmer will allow on/off times for the boiler to be set to your individual need


  • Your programmer is usually located within the boiler itself behind the pull down flap, or on the wall near the boiler.
  • For instructions on how to set the programmer, please refer to the user instructions.


  • Most radiators have been fitted with a Thermostatic Radiator Valve (TRV) which is used to control the temperature of each radiator.

During your tenancy with Taff it is possible that your needs may change due to age, illness, or disability.

In some circumstances we can apply to the Welsh Government for a grant to carry out adaptations in your current home.

This is called a Physical Adaptation Grant (PAG).
These adaptations could be:

  • Stair lifts
  • Level access showers
  • Adjustable kitchen units
  • Handrails
  • Power assisted entrance doors
  • External ramps to accommodate wheelchair users

If you would like Taff to consider you for any adaptations in your home please contact us and we will arrange for an Occupational Therapist to visit.

You must get written permission from Taff and it is your responsibility to get any necessary permission from the Council Planning Department or building regulation approval.

For furnishings or decorating your home we may be able to help you source funding.

We’re here to talk – contact us if you would like any further advice.

We may charge you for the cost of the work if you have locked yourself, damaged an essential item or blocked your drains.


Condensation is caused by steam or water vapour turning into water on cold surfaces. It can damage clothes, bedding, floor coverings, decorations and the home itself, if mould growth takes hold on walls and ceilings.

Homes that are heated and ventilated intermittently are more likely to suffer condensation problems than those which are continually occupied. Ordinary daily activities produce a lot of moisture.

To help deal with condensation you should take the following steps:

  • Cover pans when cooking and do not leave kettles boiling
  • Do not dry clothes on radiators or on clothes dryers
  • If you install a tumble drier, ensure that it is either a condenser type or is directly ventilated to the outside air
  • Unless you have been advised otherwise, keep your home well ventilated.
  • Keep windows open whenever possible
  • Avoid putting large items of furniture against external walls
  • Do not use paraffin or bottled gas heaters
  • Never block the vents in walls or windows
  • Keep your home warm in cold weather
  • Most moisture is produced by cooking and bathing – keep your kitchen and bathroom doors closed to minimise the spread of moisture
  • Always ensure that any extractor fans are working properly and keep all vents and grills clean and uncovered

If you plan to leave your house for more than one day in the winter, you should leave your heating set on a low level.

If there is a risk that pipes are frozen do not run the hot water taps as this will empty the hot water cylinder, which could then collapse.

Do not allow taps to drip as a dripping tap may stain the bath or basin and could result in frozen waste pipes in winter.

Remember to disconnect your outside tap at the valve located within the sink unit during the winter to prevent it freezing

Stop tap

  • Your water supply can be turned off at the stopcock. This is usually in the sink unit. In older houses it may be situated near the front door. If you don’t know where it is, you should find out now.


Minor leaks

  • Minor leaks, such as a dripping tap or radiator valve, can usually be dealt with without isolating the whole of the water system but it is important that you contact us immediately.


Major leaks

  • In the event of a major leak on any of the water services the stopcock should be turned off and you should contact us immediately.

Be careful when nailing or drilling into floors, walls or ceilings to avoid contact with any electric cables or pipes which may lie beneath the surface.

Plasterboard partitions need the correct type of fixings, not just nails. Only lightweight objects (wall mirrors and small pictures) may be fixed to partition walls unless advice is sought from us.

Never attempt to drill or nail a fitting directly above or below any socket outlet or switch


It is important that you are able to enjoy your home and your local area.

If you are experiencing anti-social behaviour, harassment or nuisance and this is having an impact on your wellbeing, speak to us.

We will be able to offer you support and agree with you what we can do to help.

Our focus will always be to resolve the nuisance and ASB by working with you and with those who are causing the problem.

While we may not be able to solve the problem immediately, we will always keep you updated on what we are doing.

If you are experiencing a serious incident or criminal activity it may be more appropriate that you call the Police on the following numbers:

  • Non urgent – 101
  • Emergencies – 999

Emergencies outside of office hours

You should only use this service in an emergency. If the repair is not an emergency we will re-charge you for the cost of the call out.

In the event of gas leak contact

Wales and West Utilities: 0800 111 999

In the event of power cut contact

Western Power Distribution – 0800 096 3080

In the event of no water contact

Dwr Cymru/Welsh Water: 0800 052 0145

Outside office hours: 0800 052 0130